Attendance Policy

Please take note of the 2017-18 Attendance Policy!


Did you know that by missing 10%, or about 18 days of school, that your student's academic success could drastically affected?

Did you know that by 6th grade, absenteeism is one of the three signs that student may drop out of high school?

Did you know that by 9th grade, regular and high attendance is a better predictor of graduation rates than 8th grade test scores?

Did you know that students can be chronically absent even if they only miss a day or two every few weeks?

Botetourt County Public Schools has an attendance policy that is designed to help our students be successful academically and ready for college and/or career when the graduate high school. Please read the Attendance Policy in full in the Student Handbook.

Did you know that a middle school student may not pass this year's grade level only because of 20 absences or more in one class? 

The School Counseling Office is here to support you if you have concerns about your student's attendance. If you have questions about your student's attendance, please call a counselor at 473-8333.

Chronic absences from school is a problem across the nation. Please take advantage of the resources below, including a video that explains why school systems have attendance policies:


Parents Please Read 




If you have moved, the Commonwealth of Virginia requires us to have updated documentation of your new residence in your student's file. It is law that we keep files up to date with their proof-of-residence and family information.

PLEASE make sure that you provide the School Counseling Office with a copy of your NEW proof-of-residence paperwork as soon as you move!! Otherwise, you will eventually stop receiving all school mailings because we do not have an updated address on file.

There is a form that you are required to complete to start the process of updating your address.

Please contact Mrs. Heather Huffman in the School Counseling Office to obtain this form. You may call her at 473-8333.

By law, we can NOT change your address in our school database until we receive one of the following documents:


1. Copy of the deed, lease, or real estate tax statement of your new residence in Botetourt County


2. A current utility bill with your name and the new address on it AND a current bank statement or paycheck stub from your employer that includes your new address on the statement or pay stub.


3. If you have moved in with someone else, the person that owns the home may write a letter including the following information:

  • The home owner's first and last name and home address
  • A statement saying that you and your CAMS' student have been permitted to live there
  • The date that you AND your student moved into this home
  • The home owner MUST sign and date this letter

This letter MUST be notarized (by law). You may take it to a local bank and ask a notary to stamp and sign it.


We appreciate your cooperation in this matter :-)

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.